Sunday, May 10, 2009

Gunma trip part two


This is the Gunma trip crew, from left: Nami, Kiyo as a volcano demon, Me, Kazuo. This place, overlooked by Mt. Asama, was next on our way to Kusatsu after having picked up Kiyo. It was called "Oni oshidashi" which I shall nerdily translate as "ejected demon(s)". This area is strewn with volcanic rocks as large as a sumo wrestler. I found it interesting that some had smooth, curved surfaces, whereas other aspects were rough and bumpy through erosion or moss growth. I couldn't figure out why some were different, and rather than confuse everyone with another difficult question (I make them explain the meaning of every Japanese place name's kanji, which bores Nami silly) I kept my trap shut. Though I wished dad was there to give an answer!

A little difficult to see... the near rock has smooth surfaces, those in the background darker and rougher. Now presumably these arrived here as a result of an eruption, which one I'm not particularly sure. Differential cooling? Splitting after cooling? Anywho, the tourist company that operates this field of volcanic debris was obviously compelled to provide some defense for its patrons should another eruption shower the place again.

One of the half a dozen concrete shelters, all with the entrances perpendicular to the approach of one ton boulders flying from 4km away. Not sure I'd like to be around to test one of these babys out.

After Mt. Asama, we finally completed our trip and made it to Kusatsu, an onsen town famous for its public (free) baths and sulphur pit in the centre of town. We arrived at a ryoukan (Japanese Inn) and greeted those that had already arrived in a tatami room. I had my beer glass refilled about five times in the first ten minutes, and this only stopped because they found out I like sake and produced a "One Cup" for me to drink.

Kazuo's friends were all very friendly and everyone enjoyed meeting each other again. There were maybe six couples, half of which brought children, mostly about my age. After a few drinks we went for a look around the town, when we got back I tried to take a hot bath in the ryoukan's bath room, but it was scorching. I could only manage getting my calfs (calves? Is one for cows, one for legs? It's like dwarfs vs. dwarves...) in the water, and did not go further lest I become a lobster and impress everyone with my red skin again.

Dressed in loose Japanese bath clothes I then went and joined everyone for dinner. One of Kazuo's friends was very nice and started asking me lots of questions, and he enjoyed trying to speak in English. After lots of sushi (I got Nami's and Kiyo's and an extra plate from somewhere) and some super expensive sake someone had brought I was finished and retired like the old man I am to the room. The young'uns went for a walk around the town at night.

Nami taking this picture, Kiyo in the denim jacket. I don't know the name of anyone else here, such are my social skillz. Next day!

Up pretty early, everyone packed into cars we headed for the hills. We went up a mountain next to Kusatsu called Mt. Shirane. Of course I enquired of the meaning ("white root(s)" - Japanese only defines plurals by context so it can be hard to translate names where there is none), but in this case I found it more amusing to give my own meaning. "Shirane" is the phoneme of a rough form of the verb "to know" which I might translate as "I don't f***ing know". Again, a private joke which I didn't really wish to explain to the others! So in my head I had this whole story of a cartographer coming to the region and asking a local the name of that particular mountain and taking his gruff reply in earnest.

Anyhow, on the way up the twisting road, the photographer in Nami emerged as she shouted orders from the passenger seat to myself and Kiyo in the back.
"David! Left side... take picture! Kiyo! Kiyo! Right side!"

Frauline Direktor in action.


She is adorably genki here, perhaps the thin mountain air got to her. Up on the mountain it was about 2000m, and whilst the winter's snow had melted down in the town, it was still clinging on here, as were a few snowboarders who had organised a small event. But the main attraction of Mt. Shirane was a short hike and the beautiful scenery.



The crater or caldera at the top was really great to see, with a beautiful pool of turquoise water. My pictures for the trip pretty much stop here, but there is little else to tell. We left Kusatsu and stopped off again at Karuizawa on the way home. Driving home I thought Kazuo was trying to have an head on crash as he was fond of cutting corners and crossing the centre line at every possible opportunity. I can't complain though, he did a couple of marathon drives, and I was sorry I couldn't get my license in time to lend a hand, more on that next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment