Tuesday, June 16, 2009

So I got this bee in ma bonnet this week for drawing, then painting. After re-watching "Ways of Seeing" by the artist/critic John Berger I was taken by the whim to paint a series of pictures(oh no, not just one) based upon the programs. This is a sketch I did of him yesterday, I started trying to paint this today, but in my enthusiasm forgot how difficult oil painting is! My plan is for each painting to be representative of the points he makes in each program.

The first program is right up my street, philosophically speaking, as he deals with the impact photography and printing has had on art, and how this affects context and interpretation. I recommend you watch it; it was filmed in the 70's to accompany his book, has strong themes of feminism and communism, and I can't imagine a program like this being made these days.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know you had an artistic streak!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe, me neither. It's very difficult this painting businees though :(

    ReplyDelete